top

Historic Timeline


1810   House at 110 Washington built as private residence by Samuel Hill.
     
1819 – 27   110 Washington operated as a boarding house. Known as the “Soulden House”, Aaron Burr is said to be among its’ guests.
     
1835 – 65   110 Washington dubbed “The Mansion House”, and is owned and occupied by the Stanton family. Major changes are made to the residence including the addition of the third floor.
     
1880
  January 31 - Fort Orange Club established at the Albany Law School located on State Street. Forty-nine men sign the constitution that evening.
     
1880
  February 28 - The Fort Orange Club purchases 110 Washington from Ephraim Bender for $30,000.
     
1880
  July 1 -110 Washington Avenue celebrates its formal opening.
     
1880
  December 8 - Club’s 1st grand reception held.
     
1881   President Ulysses S. Grant is an honored guest at a Club reception.
     
1883   Renovations begin on the Club House to expand the second floor by sixteen feet.
     
1885   President-elect Grover Cleveland attends reception at Club.
     
1890   Club House renovated and expanded to include a large billiards room, dining room and extension of the east side of the building.
     
1899   Governor Theodore Roosevelt honored at Club reception.
     
1905   Club celebrates its 25th anniversary.
     
1908   Third story expanded during renovations to Clubhouse.
     
1919   Liquor sales eliminated in accordance with prohibition laws.
     
1927   Construction on the new Alfred E. Smith state office building begins.
     
1929   Club awarded $96,000 in damages sustained during construction of the Alfred E. Smith building and new athletic wing is added to the Clubhouse.
     
1933   Prohibition ends and the Tap Room is remodeled to include the erection of a bar.
     
1937   Five Murals are painted by Edward P. Buyck in the Tap Room depicting historic scenes of Albany.
     
1941   U.S. enters World War II and the Fort Orange Club takes numerous actions to support the war including the purchase of $2000 in defense bonds.
     
1954   Advisory committee on gifts and historical objects established to acquire items appropriate for display in the Clubhouse.
     
1970   Club undergoes major renovations to all its interior rooms for a cost of $630,000. Wood paneling from Keeler’s restaurant is obtained and used to line the walls of the new Billiard Room and back entrance way to the Club. Work on the new Empire State Plaza in downtown Albany is well underway.
     
1980
Club celebrates its Centennial on January 31st with guest speaker, Erastus Corning 2nd, current Albany mayor and third generation member of the club whose grandfather served as the Club’s first president.
     
1988   Club members vote to admit women into the Club.
     
1989   First women admitted into the club: Sara Simmons Chapman, Elizabeth Platt Corning and Barbara C. Dudley as regular members and Nancy E. Carey as a junior member.
     
1990   Athletic facilities renovated and accommodations for a woman’s locker room.
     
1997   West Lounge remodeled in the “arts and crafts style” and awarded Preservation Merit Award by the Historic Albany Foundation.


2005   Club celebrates its 125th anniversary.
     
2008   Club embarks on a Comprehensive Plan, preserving its historic infrastructure and investing in members' future utilization of the Club and the vitality of the membership by increasing parking while reducing gridlock and improving traffic flow, enhancing the Tap Room entrance and enlarging the athletic wing to create a dedicated fitness studio, expand and upgrade the cardio/workout room, create a social area, and build two international squash courts. 
     
2015   July 1- James M. Flaherty retires from the Club after 45 years as an employee, 21 of those years as General Manager.  He is replaced by Roy Robinson.  
border
The Fort Orange club
110 Washington Avenue Albany, New York 12210        Phone: (518) 434-2101        © 2017